Happy Halloween from CityCynic.com! This Halloween, try not to eat too much candy… Happy Halloween from CityCynic.com!
Senator Al Franken (D-MN) is working hard to get healthcare reform passed… pushing through all the rhetoric and nonsense about socialized medicine that’s out there these days:
Al Franken, like many Americans, is sick and tired of listening to conservatives throw up strawman arguments about health care reform intended to scare Americans into accepting 47 million uninsured fellow citizens, increasing out-of-pocket costs and skyrocketing personal bankruptcies due to health care costs–all the while decrying “socialized” medicine. Below, he schools Diana Furchtgott-Roth of the Hudson Institute–which until recently employed disgraced health care “analyst” and serial liar Betsy McCaughey–on how people in other “socialized” countries don’t go bankrupt trying to stay alive.
Now that’s refreshing to see, isn’t it? Enough with the scare tactics, let’s get healthcare reform passed!
- Not the Mets? RT @NYPost_Mets: Bobby Valentine and Manny Acta are now finalists for the Indians’ managerial job: http://bit.ly/1REGZQ #mets #
- Gotta shake this one off and win tomorrow! RT @dodgertownusa: There is good news, Game 4 of the NLCS is stll 0-0 #dodgers #
- On the latest SNL, that Beauty and the Beast sketch was the funniest skit on there than anything on the show in years! #snl #
- Ordering in Domino’s cause it just took me 1.5 hours to get home and I’m not going out again, heh. #
- Mariano Rivera is trying really hard to lose this game. Let’s see if he can do it… #yankees #angels #
- Moral Of Balloon Boy Hoax: Fake Reality TV Only Okay When Networks Produce It http://tr.im/Cmv0 Exactly… what a distraction from life… #
- Russell Martin hits an RBI line drive single to leftfield to tie the game. Dodgers have bases loaded with 2 outs. 2-2 in the 4nd inning #mlb #
- Matt Kemp homers to give the Dodgers the lead 3-2 in the top of the 5th. Now that’s the offense the team has had all season long! #mlb #
- Manny Ramirez has got to hit the cut-off man there. Geez. 4-2 Dodgers in the 6th… #phillies #dodgers #
- Chase Utley’s RBI single drives in Shane Victorino to bring the Phillies within 1, 4-3 Dodgers. #phillies #dodgers #
- Yankees fire 7th inning singer Ronan Tynan after anti-semitic remark overheard by NYU professor http://tr.im/CmQF #scoopedgothamist ;) #
- Yes please! RT @hockeymandad well I overheard A-Rod and Jeter say they hated gay people Can they now get fired if I call the Yankees? #
- http://twitpic.com/m7htr – How Derek Jeter gets his power… #
- Unbelievable ending to that game. Damn. RT @theropolitans: …Philles… *mutters something under his breath* #
- Yeah, can’t believe that RT @3one6 Dodgers were 1 out away from being tied 2-2 now there down 3-1, I’m just having a bad year in sports smfh #
- Woke up this morning and still can’t believe the Dodgers lost like that last night. Sigh. Off day today, then back at it tomorrow, Blue #mlb #
- Well that was a sweep. RT @MLB: #Yankees are No. 1 Trending Topic – back in ALCS for 1st time in 5 years @WorldSeries http://WorldSeries.com #
- That hit the spot! RT @sportsbrain #Rockies out to a 3-1 lead in cold Coors Field Anyone else think stadium should turn blue when this cold? #
- Phillies just scored. Rockies lead down to 3-2 in the top 4th. Nice to see former Met coach Bob Apodaca w/ the earflaps. #rockies #phillies #
- Rockies' Hammel just walked in the tying run. Bob Apodaca better have someone throwing in the bullpen. No outs still. #rockies #phillies #
- Carlos Ruiz pulls one through the hole to score Jason Werth, giving the Phillies the lead 4-3 in the 4th. Rockies better get it together! #
- RT @ryangp I cant believe the Phillies and Rockies are actually playing ball in Denver, where it's currently 29 degrees. That's dedication #
- Rockies' Carlos Gonzalez jacks one out into the 29 degree night in RF to tie up the game! 4-4 in the 4th. Now we have a game! #rockies #mlb #
- Carlos Ruiz scorches a hot one up the middle to score Ibanez. Phillies take back the lead 5-4 in the 6th inning. #rockies #phillies #
- Watching the Columbus Day Parade on NBC. Who are these raucous announcers? Oh… Joe Piscopo and Maria Bartiromo. Way diff than St Pat's Day #
- I can't believe I fell asleep with the Phillies-Rockies tied 5-5 last night. I can believe the Phillies won tho, cause Rockies looked awful. #
- Ok, can't resist. What qualifications? RT @intoxicatedlove My Dad wants me 2 be Phillies ball girl since I fit all the qualifications. #
- Just saw this crazy trumpet band Fanfara Bersaglieri running down the street and playing in the Columbus Day Parade. http://tr.im/Bybn #nyc #
- Haha, the Archbishop Dolan admitted he's actually "looking for a hot dog cart" and can't wait for the St. Patrick's Day Parade. LOL! #nyc #
- Sitting through 3 hours of the Columbus Day Parade was totally worth it now that Bobby Riedel and Joe Piscopo are singing New York, NY! #nyc #
Thanks to Jay-Z I have a new New York anthem:
In New York, concrete jungle where things are made of… there’s nothing you can’t do… Now you’re in New York… these streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you…
So this is it baseball fans: We’re down to the “final four” of the MLB League Championship round. Three sweeps and a frigid four-game series in Colorado later, and after going 2-2 in my previously blogged Division Series picks, I’m ready to try again for this round. Just no more sweeps, okay guys?
This series is sure to come down to which team makes the least mistakes, as both teams have proved they have what it takes to overcome obstacles in their way. Look for this to be a hard-fought series with the Dodgers putting down last year’s World Champs under the skilled management decisions of Joe Torre, just as long as LA’s bullpen can manage to stay intact.
As a New Yorker, you might be inclined to think I would stick with the Yankees at this point in the game. But that’s just not how this Mets fan operates. I think the Yankees had the last century to dominate and their time has passed. Although, I’d like to see a matchup of “Joe Torre’s Revenge,” if they were to meet the Dodgers in the World Series, the baseball fan in me would much rather take in the first-ever Freeway World Series. (Even if its on the left coast.)
So in that sense, rooting for the Yankees to fall, even though I don’t think they will, is essentially rooting for the Angels, a team I admit I know and care little about except for their absurdly long name.
On the other hand, I am definitely standing behind the Dodgers to win it all. They’ve shown a special resilience this season that is hard to be matched in many playoff teams of the past decade and as long as they play smart baseball, they have a great chance to take it all this year. Joe Torre definitely deserves it and the players that stepped up to form a strong team in Los Angeles (like Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier) also deserve to win it all.
And while maybe all those trips through the Jackie Robinson Rotunda at Citi Field on my way to watch the Mets, including one with my favorite Dodgers fan in the world, have colored my baseball vision slightly more blue this year than ever before, I think this is the Dodgers year. They have something to prove and this is their chance.
Oh, and phuck the Phillies! :)
–Although baseball fans will have to suffer through the awful coverage of the ALCS and World Series by FOX Sports and their flawed leader Joe Buck, at least we can take some refuge in the slightly better TBS coverage. (Hey, at least its not ESPN, right?) I know that I’ve mentioned previously just how much Ron Darling brings to the game coverage and I’d just like to give props to TBS for hiring him as a color commentator.
–The NLCS and ALCS feature all four teams with $100 million+ payrolls this year. It will be interesting to see which teams get the greatest return on their outlandish investments.
–Let’s hope that the umpiring crews in this round of the playoffs are better than in the last. All four Division Series featured at least one blown call at first base, with some featuring multiple blown calls (as shown by instant replay) throughout the games. The playoffs are supposed to be decided by the heroics and pratfalls of the players on the teams, and not by the oft apparently narrowsighted men in blue. Here’s to 2 series without blown calls…
RELATED: What Torre Vs. Yankees Could Do For Baseball (Bleacher Report)
- Dodgers make a statement with a Mark Loretta walk-off RBI single to beat the Cardinals! Amazing! All set up by the Matt Holliday LF error! #
- Whata comeback victory! Amazing! RT @justonemiss: Dodgers take game 2! Now THAT is the team we know and love! #weloveLA #dodgers #
- Oh sure, way to harsh my buzz bro. :/ RT @lennychiarello: Matt Holliday has New York Met written ALL OVER HIM #
- TBS commentators were just very upset for Matt Holliday and his error. Very odd. Anyway, let’s see what Boston is made of as they take on LA #
- So excited about so many things right now. Trying to breathe, trying to breathe. :P #
- Jacoby Ellsbury is like the AL version of Jose Reyes. And that is excitement right there. Also, Mets fans may see Billy Wagner this series! #
- .@darknova306 Sigh. I couldn’t fit “*if he were healthy” in there. Well anyway, I was comparing the excitement of the two players… in reply to darknova306 #
- The bad ump calls in the MLB postseason continue. Ump called Kendrick safe at first after Youkilis clearly applied the tag. #angels #sox #
- Torii Hunter’s 3-run jack puts the Angels ahead of Boston 3-0 in the bottom of the 5th. Where are Boston’s bats tonight? #redsox #angels #
- Youkilis can NOT get a call to go his way tonight. Of course if Lowell didn’t throw errantly, it would have avoided all of this. #redsox #
- Good stuff, other Anthony :) RT @antderosa Check out my first article on how the NY Mets have a branding problem. http://tinyurl.com/ykdgx9l #